8i/Semaphore/Memory/Linux

From: Will Clements <whc2u_at_leptonics.com>
Date: 2000/08/01

Hi ALL,

Trying to get an idea of what the Linux kernel configuration parameters should be for a medium sized implementation of Oracle 8i. I've already installed Oracle 8.1.6 EE for linux on the stock RedHat 6.2 a few times with no problems.

The Oracle documentations recommends:

 SHMMAX (0.5*physical memory)
 SHMMIN 1
 SHMMNI 100
 SHMSEG 10

 SEMMSL   (10 + largest process parameter)
          (Default process pramaeter = 50)
 SEMMNS   (set formula)

 SEMOPM 100
 SEMVMX 32767 Stock RedHat 6.2 (result of "ipcs -l" command):

My interpretation of the RedHat defaults:

 SHMMAX 16,777,216 KB
 SHMMIN 1
 SHMMNI 128
 SHMSEG 128
 SEMMSL 250
 SEMMNS 320000 (SEMMNI*SEMMSL)
 SEMOPM 32
 SEMVMX 32767 Now according to this, really, the only thing I need to change is SEMOPM. Is this correct? But I'm wondering if I will encounter trouble if SEMMNS and SHMMAX are set this high. Any thoughts on this before I recompile the Linux kernel? (I'm also switching to kernel version 2.2.16).

Will Cl Received on Tue Aug 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT