Re: extents

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/08/01

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:51:07 GMT, "Tom Best" <tabest_at_bellatlantic.dontspamme.net> wrote:

>If PCTINCREASE is 0, then do you make it a habit to manually defragment on
>occasion (since Oracle only defrags if PCTINCREASE > 0)?

Only every once in a while, when there is a lot of stuff dropped or if I'm doing a complete reorg. The trick here is to make sure after a compaction the initial extent is a multiple of the next extent default of the tablespace. With the same next extent allocation for all objects in a given tablespace, I really don't care if there is gonna be a free chunk big enough somewhere: there HAS to be, or else I've run out of free space alltogether! ;-)

Wastes a little bit of space (not necessarily, but it can happen), on the other hand it gives me peace of mind. Of course, you can't do this on development databases. Only for stuff that is in production and has reached a minimal level of stability. Don't do this while developers are still fixing things!

Usual disclaimers in place: IMHO, YMMV, no animals hurt performing these tests, etc.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Tue Aug 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT