Re: Just wondering - how big is big ???

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_totalise.co.uk>
Date: 2000/07/31

Norazman Abu Sahir wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry but I need to ask from people who have the experience.
> (Understand different people will have different answer).
>
> If we are measuring Oracle database what are the main factor
> explaining the server size. I have currently 3 in mind which
> is size(Gigabyte) and number of users, and numbers of transactions.
>
> If for that 2 measurement what is the number I can present to
> the management to be fair for all type of business ie multi-national
> company to medium and small. I was only interested in Oracle no other
> RDBMS. In summary ,something like this.
>
> DEFINATION OF BIG DATABASE:
>
> Multi-national company
> ----------------------
> 1) Size:
> 2) No of users:
> 3) No of transaction:
>
> Medium size company
> -------------------
> 1) Size:
> 2) No of users:
> 3) No of transaction:
>
> Small company
> -------------
> 1) Size:
> 2) No of users:
> 3) No of transaction:
>
> Thanks for replying.

HI

ooh 'how long is a piece of string'..

anyway its all very relative. Oracle RDBMS's are used from a few 10'sMB sizes to well into the terrabyte range - reports on this group I've are that 10TB was done a few years ago, so who knows whats out there now.

It's not only the above you need to consider, but the whole application. is it 24x7 OLTP or a datawarehouse thats only being 'used' 9-5? response times, connectivity to the user....

with the medium and above you may fine you need a few iterations of h/w configuration (esp disk & maybe memory) and many iterations of tuning to get the best out of Oracle.

ie its not simple.

Martin Received on Mon Jul 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT