Re: table nologging in 8i

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/07/31

In article <8m4o0s$fl5$1_at_news.bentley.com>, Tom Best <tom.best_at_bentley.com> writes
>Ted:
>
>No.
>
>HTH,
>Tom Best

Yes, nologging just means nologging of current action. ie: it will be an unrecoverable action.
This is a limited, dubious feature in my book. The risks outweigh the advantages. Nologging on create index is about 3X quicker though in my experience. In this case (where indexes can easily be rebuilt), it's worth it.

I've heard many opinions on this and (I think) finally got to the bottom of it... eventually... with oracle support.

You can't turn off logging on a table at a transaction level (for any transaction) or it could never rollforward. Commit only means commit to redo log, not commit to datafile.

Feel free to correct me, but I did dig pretty hard on this since I originally wanted to turn off logging everywhere for speed, we did full cold backups so I couldn't see the need for logging (at the time).

Steve Received on Mon Jul 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT