Re: Oracle disk limit

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/31

"Bella Pikovsky" <bbp006_at_email.mot.com> wrote in message news:8m1h78$pil$1_at_schbbs.mot.com...

> Hi all,
>
> I use Oracle 8.1.6 for Windows NT and I'd like to configure the database
> to reach no more than X Mb. How can I do it?
> And what happend when there is no enouph disk space? Does the database
> crashes or pops up any error message?

Create your tablespaces with a disk file of X Mb, and don't stick an 'autoextend' clause on whilst you do it. Tables will be able to grow to fill the available disk space, and after that new entries will cause an error message to appear similar to "unable to allocate next extent".

By deafault, a database will never grow in size unless you make it do so (by adding new datafiles to a tablespace, or resizing existing files).

Regards
HJR