Re: Setting Default Instance

From: Ewan Parker <ewan_at_chimera.u-net.com>
Date: 2000/07/29

On 28-Jul-00 15:29:11, Russ Braaten said about Setting Default Instance:
> I have two instances running on the same NT4.0 server. They are both Oracle
> 7.3. I don't have any problems performance wise, but I do have a definate
> issue. Whether or not you use instance manager (in Enterprise Manager) or
> Server Manager, if you don't specify a pfile when you startup your startup a
> database, it will always start one particular database. (If you don't think
> that's a problem, think about what running one database under a different
> SID will do to your archive log files........) Now, I know the solution to
> this is to ALWAYS specify a pfile when starting a database, but I remember
> reading somewhere where the default (the one that always starts) is set.

> Anybody know where that is set?

In a command prompt, you can type 'set ORACLE_SID=...' before running server manager. Alternatively, you can change the default sid to another using regedit to change the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ORACLE_SID to whatever you want.

HTH,
Ewan.

--
PGP footprint: 3A 82 19 D7 7A 61 D3 DC  4D F3 87 B2 27 99 BE 77