Re: I need some help creating a table

From: <murphy7384_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/29

In article <398334FF.1D56CDE3_at_richard-schneider.de>,   Uwe Schneider <pi_at_richard-schneider.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> zmacedo wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I need some, I need to know what is the exact date format that
 Oracle 8
> > accepts. I know the Date datatype also handles times, but I just
 can't
> > figure out how to enter the date-time combo. Is it
 mm/dd/yy:hh:mm:ss? I was
> > only able to enter a date in the following format dd-MON-yy. Is
 that right?
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am sorry I somewhat new at
 this.

> as you can read in the documentation the Oracle DATE type is a 7 byte
> field containing:
> century, year, month, day, hour, minute, and second
>
> This design has some drawbacks:
> - Date arithmetics is VERY strange and slower than necessary, e.g. to
> add 10 minutes to a date value you need to calculate <datevalue> + 10
 /
> (24 * 60)
> - Date values are always timestamps and often this is not what you
 want.

> Conversion to/from character strings are done withe the
 TO_CHAR/TO_DATE
> functions.
>
> Uwe
>
> --
> Uwe Schneider | Telefon +49 7251 / 82587
> Karlsdorfer Str. 31 | Mail pi_at_richard-schneider.de
> DE-76646 Bruchsal | http://www.richard-schneider.de/uwe
> Linux - OS al dente!

Consider:
SQL> Alter system set nls_date_format = 'MM-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS';

you can set the format on a session by session basis. This Date format is set in the init.ora

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Jul 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT