Re: Oracle Installer Question

From: John Alexander <jalexander_at_summitsoftwaredesign.com>
Date: 2000/07/29

You don't mention what tools you are rolling out, but if it is Developer 6.0 or Developer 2000 there are several options:

  1. Oracle has a document detailing what files need to be copied and what registry settings need to be added to deploy Developer 2000/Developer 6.0 Runtime files to a PC without using the Oracle Installer. This would allow you to have a batch file that would copy all the needed files from your server to the PC, and create a registry export that the user could then import.
  2. Look at the Deploy/Release write-up in the Developer 2000/Developer 6.0 documentation. This allows you to have your own pre-configured installation that can also include files from your own application (i.e. all the FMX, PLX files, etc.) so that users don't need to pick and choose from an installation.

I have used option 1 several times, and it works quite well. Last I heard, there was a bug with option 2 in Developer 6.0 where not everything needed for Deploy Release was included on the CD, but the work-around Oracle gave was to pull the missing items from the Developer2000 2.1 CD.

Search on MetaLink using the following and you will get information on both of those options:
deploy forms windows

Matt Schultz <nospam_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:Vnrg5.4077$mt6.205004_at_nntp3.onemain.com...
> Here's my situation: I have to roll-out Oracle8 to many users in branch
> offices across the nation as part of a new procurement software package.
> Right now, users are forced to perform the installation my themselves,
> having to choose about 12 things from the Custom Install menu. This is
> quite cumbersome and, to them, often times very confusing, with all the
> CTRL+clicks and double-clicks, etc.
>
> I'm wondering if there's some internal way to "script" the Oracle
 Installer.