Re: EMC or NetApp for Oracle Database Storage?

From: Viacheslav Leichinsky <v_leichinsky_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/07/28

In article <3980EB53.BC440F39_at_texas.net>,   Michael Wilkerson <mwilker_at_texas.net> wrote:
> We're considering implementing a new databse application that should
> need a couple hundred GB of storage in the first year or two (large
> multimedia files). We're considering both EMC and NetApp hardware for

I have not expirience with EMC or NetApp storage but only with DEC (now Compaq) external RAID cabinet with 2 redudant controllers and 20 spindels. I think than more controllers and disks you will have that will be better for Oracle :)
especially if you want to use parallel execution

> - Will I be able to select which disk/controller each datafile is
 stored
> on or will the entire array just appear as one big disk? (will I even
> need to or will the storage unit handle it all)
> - Do I get a choice to stripe or mirror (or a combination of the two)?
> - Anything we should be aware of/watch out for?

You should properly distribute database files according OFA. You can put datafiles on one striping/mirror (RAID 10) big disk but online log files and acrhive log files - on separate RAID 1 disks as well as Oracle software.
It's a very good link about disk config : http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/index.htm

Regards,
Slava.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jul 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT