EMC or NetApp for Oracle Database Storage?

From: Michael Wilkerson <mwilker_at_texas.net>
Date: 2000/07/28

We're considering implementing a new databse application that should need a couple hundred GB of storage in the first year or two (large multimedia files). We're considering both EMC and NetApp hardware for this. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about either of these?

I admit, I've just begun looking at both of these and am not very familiar with this type of storage solution. I was curious how much control I would have in where my datafiles are stored:
- Will I be able to select which disk/controller each datafile is stored
on or will the entire array just appear as one big disk? (will I even need to or will the storage unit handle it all)
- Do I get a choice to stripe or mirror (or a combination of the two)?

Appreciate your insite,
Michael Received on Fri Jul 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT