Re: Autoextend on & multiple datafiles

From: <hvetsa_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/28

The way oracle works when allocating new extent is to search all the datafiles for suficent space for the extent. It found it takes that space. If it doesn't it extends one of the datafile for the space. For some reason it cannot extend the datafile it gives an error message. So far I never come across any documentation about how files are scanned for extents and which file will be extended.

The best way is to use the command
ALTER TABLE <table_name> ALLOCATE EXTENT ......

to manually stripe the tables across disks. One more advantage is that you always are sure that there are no dynamic extension ( which are costly).

Good Luck.

In article <8lsm8e$v57$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   EnderW <ender29_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> This is a beginner question but let's say I have no raid capability.
> I want to create two datafiles with autoextend on with a small 16KB
> initial size on two diff. fileystems. What happens when the tablespace
> exhausted. Will only one datafile keep being autoextended and the
 other
> one will just sit there ? Is there way to emulate stripping without
> RAID. Thanks
>
> --
> Ender Wiggin
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jul 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT