Re: Larry Ellison comments on Microsoft's benchmark

From: Blair Kenneth Adamache <adamache_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: 2000/07/28

Anecdote (quote from a customer): "Every time Oracle lowers its price, we have to pay more."

See http://www.ioug.org:/ (May, 2000 Instapol1):

Do you feel Oracle's new pricing and Internet sales strategy will make it easier to do business with them?
 (Total Votes: 249)

Yes 30.5%

No 69.5%

Norris wrote:

> "Oracle Radically Simplifies Product Line, Pricing, and Support--Many More
> Options Now Included in Standard Products for No Additional Cost."
>
> http://www.oracle.com/corporate/press/index.html?229558.html
>
> Sun, 23 Jul 2000 15:30:24 -0400 Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >
> > I read an interview with one of SAP's architects that
> > discussed the move to SQL Server. The principle reason
> > given was that the upper tier of the market was saturated
> > and SAP was moving to price more aggressively for the
> > middle tier market segment.
> >
> > SQL Server was more price competitive (at the time) than
> > Oracle, and allowed SAP to lower the cost of goods sold,
> > which helps in maintaining margin and profitability. A recent
> > change in the licensing fees for SQL Server negates some of
> > the price differential.
> >
> > Another factor is that Oracle is a direct competitor to SAP,
> > which I am sure played heavily in the decision. Especially
> > when you consider that Oracle has gone after and won some
> > large accounts where the SAP implementation was still not
> > complete up to 5 years after initial deployment.
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Long
> > http://extremedna.homestead.com
> >

> > <rd8246_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8kv0q0$lli$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> >> Talkin' it and walkin' it are two different things. Facts are that SAP,
> >> PeopleSoft, and other ISVs have abandoned Oracle and SQL Server and
> >> picked DB2 UDB for Unix/Linux/NT. Rick

 Microsoft
 SQL