Re: Performance question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/07/27

"Johan den Boer" <jj.den.boer_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:39805C57.53D78BCF_at_hccnet.nl...
> Hello Oracle Users,
>
> I have a question about performance. What is the best way to setup
> the oracle database ?
> Suppose you have a database with archiving. Do you seperate the data
> from the archive on seperate disks ? Do you seperate the database
> data from the OS software and application software to get better
> perfromance ?
> How about mirroring the database ? Does anyone has experience with
> mirroring databases on seperated disk/filesystems.
>
> Hope you can help me.
>
> regards
>
> Johan den Boer
> email : jj.den.boer_at_hccnet.nl

There is a discussion about this in the Oracle DBA handbook. General principles:
- distribute I/O
- avoid single points of failure.

This means:
the online redo log files should if possible sit on a separate disk. This is because the online redo logfiles are the only files which are written to sequentially.
Rollback segments should be in their own tablespace and they shouldn't be located on the disk with the only redologfiles. Data and indexes should be separated.
Provided the executables are infrequently read (mainly read once) it should be possible to locate the system tablespace on a disk with the executables. However I would recommend this only if space is tight and/or there is one single disk of 20 G (most NT databases are way way smaller) Rollback and temp can be located on one disk.

With respect to mirroring: you *should* mirror the online redologfiles and the controlfiles either by hardware or software. Also you shouldn't use RAID-5 for parts of the database (online redolog again) that are heavily written. RAID0+1 is preferred for this type of access.

If you need further clarification outside this newsgroup, let's drop the English, as we both speak Dutch.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Jul 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT