Re: Question for DBA: control files and processes

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/07/27

,----
| COOLLL!!! I always become very exciting than I see such kind of friendly
| information with a lot of documentation about everything but not about
| this!!!
|
| Cool! there is the description of this error 204? Where should I look?
| this is ora-. snp- what is this?
|
| Somtetimes I just "felt in love" in Oracle....
`----

It was the tone of your sarcasm which I gave offense to. It seemed like you expected Oracle to be able to tell you exactly what you needed to know, in readable format. I'm sorry, but I have never seen log messages from any product that didn't take some digging to try to figure out, and probably to most people on this list answering questions, that is part of the "fun" of the job, and from some of the posts I have seen, there are a whole bunch which could give you really sound advice.

,----

`----

I haven't had to deal with error 204, but from the line ,----
| Rolling back half complete log switch of thread 1
`----
it looks like a file somewhere has gotten corrupted. Restoring from an earlier backup will probably be your most viable option.

Since the control file seems to be the issue, I think the Oracle documentation I found is relevant. (error 204 seems a bit different than ORA-00204 but they are probably the same.)

   ORA-00204: error in reading control file name block num, #    blocks num

   Cause: A disk read-failure occurred while attempting to read    the specified control file. The block location of the failure    is given.

   Action: Check that the disk is online. If it is not, bring it    online and shut down and restart Oracle. If the disk is    online, then look for operating system reasons for Oracle's    inability to read the disk or control file. Refer to the    Oracle8 Server Administrator's Guide for information about    recovering from the loss of a control file. See also your    operating system-specific Oracle documentation.

I would immediately get a tar with Oracle support and have them help you. This seems pretty serious.

--
Galen Boyer
Database Architect