Re: Backup and Shutdown hlep!!

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/27

"Frank" <fbortel_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:397EEC9D.5B4A5A4D_at_hotmail.com...
> Steve wrote:
> >
> > I would like to get help about what the options are for NT platformed
 Oracle
> > 8i database shutdown daily and backup.
> >
> > I know OEM can do it. I know unix cron can do it (first time to think
> > about NT seriously). What is the efficient way to shutdown the
 service
> > and bring it up every night? Some says the scheduler, or AT. Can
> > someone specify it?
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> > Steve
>
> See previous threads...
> use AT to do "net stop OracleServiceORCL", OracleStartORCL, or "oradim
> -SID ORCL -shutdown...."
> then backup.
> AT -Help, and oradim -help will help (obviously)

Of course, terminating the NT services like this is equivalent to doing a shutdown abort. Not exactly the best way of shutting down a database that you are just about to backup -on the grounds that, after recovery from backup, you'd then have to sit through an Instance Recovery.

Steve would perhaps be better off writing a simple batch file script that says something like...

svrmgrl
connect / as sysdba
shutdown immediate
exit

...and then using the AT command to schedule that script to run at a particular time. He could always add, after the shutdown immediate, the commands you've suggested to terminate the NT services, I suppose, if he felt that was important.

Regards
HJR