Re: Help dropping a procedure

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powellNOmaSPAM_at_eds.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/07/27

Aaron <asentell_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
>I guess everybody else is stumped, too.
>
>In article <8lal76$5ec$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Aaron <asentell_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
>> Somehow I created a procedure using TOAD under my schema
 called
>> LACOMQA.PRE_LOAD_CLEANUP. (This is not under the LACOMQA
 schema, but
>> under mine, ASENTELL.) I've been unsuccessful thus far in
 attempting
>> to drop this procedure. Using full name,
>> ASENTELL.LACOMQA.PRE_LOAD_CLEANUP, does not work, nor can I
 use TOAD's
>> GUI interface to delete it. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aaron

Is this a database stored procedure or a packaged procedure? The name you show in your post is not a proper stored procedure name but I would take it to be a packaged procedure name. A period or dot is the separator character for owner to object to domain etc... so I suspect this is the problem. Now if this is a packaged procedure you would just drop the entire package.

But assuming it is a procedure like you say then I would suggest selecting the sys.dba_objects rows for the object to verify who ownes it and the name Oracle stored the procedure under. Remove any synonyms or other objects that might be getting in the way. Then try logging on to sqlplus as the owner and issue the drop without prefixing it with the owner id. If the drop still fails then try enclosing the procedure name in double quotes as in 'drop procedure "X.Y"; '. That might do it, but remember that when double quotes are used on table_names and column_names Oracle preserves the contents of the quotes exactly including case so make sure you enter the same case as appears the in the sys.dba_object output.

I hope this helps.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Thu Jul 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT