moving database from one server to another

From: Gerry Grant <gerry.grant_at_ttu.edu>
Date: 2000/07/26

Newbee question: What is the best/easiest method to move a database (Oracle 8.0.5, NT 4.0) from one server to another? The servers are configured the same except the new server is faster and has larger disk drives.

Do you create an instance with the same file structure and just copy the datafiles, controlfiles, and logfiles? What if you want to do it a second time, just drop those files and do another copy? Sounds too easy. I'm sure I am missing something.

Gerry Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT