Table Renaming and Indexing Questions

From: <sambavan_at_motown.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: 2000/07/26

Hi Folks,

In our work site, we need to insert data from a flat file in huge quatities into oracle 8.1.6 (solaris). The current way they do these load are through Perl and not SQL/LOADER. I know it is an inefficient way of doing things but we are working on the alternatives. The current load takes almost 11Hrs to load the huge data and the index building consumes half of the time even though it is in a different table space.

My question at this point is that, I load these data into a dummy table and say I have built the index using this dummy table. Now if I rename the dummy table to some "XYZ" table, in the same table space, do I have to rebuild the indices that I built on the dummy table?

Could some one tell me more about some work arounds on this case?

-Sam

                 Experience is not what happens to a man, it's
                 what a man does with what happens to him.
                                              -- ALDOUS HUXLEY