Re: Help ! Performance question : utl_file or sql*loader?

From: Frank <fbortel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

Serial # 19781010 wrote:

> Thanks Dmitry,
> But I cannot use sql*loader to load multiple tables becuase there
> is an elaborate logic involved in normalizing the denormalized input
> data, generating unique ID's and things like that. I dont see how I
> can put that complex logic in sql*loader. My main concern was the
> effiency of UTL_FILE reading such a huge number of records from the
> flat file as opposed to reading an internal table after an sql*loader
> load into the temporary table.
> Prahalad
> (ppateel_at_iname.com)

<snipped original reply>

Yes you can:
load all data flat (no processing whatsoever); should be done in a jiffy.
update the tables with a dummy statement, causing an update trigger to fire.
This trigger, in turn, validates, processes, fills production tables and error tables.

Been there, done that.
Oops! Disable the trigger before you start loading, enabled before update...

my 2cts, Frank Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT