Re: Question for DBA: control files and processes

From: <zyman_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

In article <397EE8B1.2CF7CB2F_at_hotmail.com>,   Frank <fbortel_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> <snipped the alert log file>
>
> Check the manual:
> ORA-00204 error in reading (block string, # blocks string) of
> controlfile
>
> Cause: A disk I/O failure was detected on reading the control
 file.

> Action: Check that the disk is online. If it is not, bring it
> online and shut down and restart Oracle.
> If it is online, then look for operating system reasons for
> Oracle's inability to read the disk or
> control file. See the Oracle8i Administrator's Guide for
> information on recovering
> from the loss of a control file. See also your operation
> system-specific Oracle documentation.
>
> Or type: oerr ora 204
>
> Control file corrupt, perhaps?

Actually manual dosn't help me her at all. Yes. You are right that this error is because smth. wrong with control file. Useally this is becuase U just lost it or overwite or smth. But not in this situation. No "external" operation was applied to control files.

> better recreate it (you do dump that on a regular basis, don't you?!?)
yes I did.

> with larger values
> for MAX.... Oracle uses info of MAX... params to allocate space in the
> controlfile, and it looks
> like yours is too small (and cannot expend?)

As I see this is just "defualt" installation of Oracle. Almost actually. At least all values in init in config are the same as always,

Tell me please why ! control files need to expanad? I don't add any new db or redolog files also db is not in redolog mode. So why?

Thank You.

> hth, grtz, Frank

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT