Re: Tuning question

From: <sergey_s_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

I wish I could. I'd do it in a heart beat! But the machine is a few states away and someone else maintains it. They tell me they can't buy more storage and processing power to accomodate another copy of half a terabyte data warehouse because of financial constraints.

And even if I just wanted to copy the tables involved in the join to do some testing, I would still have to run it on a separate machine because the original machine is used for some mission critical reporting. And then I'm back to the problem of "financial constraints".

So, it's not a pretty picture...

Sergey

In article <397EE2D9.336AF374_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> Why don't you set up a development database to run your test queries
 on?
> That way, you'll know for sure!
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> sergey_s_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > How can I justify using hash join over sort-merge join in theory?
> > I cannot really just run the tests to see which join performs better
> > because the tables involved are a couple of billions rows and I
 cannot
> > tie up the db like that.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Sergey
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> --
> Brian Peasland
> Raytheons Systems at
> USGS EROS Data Center
> These opinions are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect the opinions of my
> company!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT