Re: Tuning question

From: Tom Best <tabest_at_bellatlantic.dontspamme.net>
Date: 2000/07/26

Sergey:

Do you have accurate statistics? If so, you could generate an explain plan. Use the "explain plan" command, and it will not actually *run* the query. Keep in mind that if doing the ANALYZE is going to take too long, you can always use the ESTIMATE STATISTICS clause and it will look at just a sampling of the data.

Theoretically, you should find that the sort-merge join will do a sort, and the hash join will not. So, it makes sense that, (and according to the optimizer docs) the hash join will do better for very large result sets, when the cost based optimizer is being used.

HTH,
Tom Best