Re: cursors - where is the data stored

From: Tom Best <tabest_at_bellatlantic.dontspamme.net>
Date: 2000/07/26

Vik:

Oracle does not make a snapshot of the result set. At cursor open time, it parses it and determines the path it will use to satisfy it. As you fetch, it either retrieves the next row from the data block buffer cache or reads it from disk into the cache. You can read arrays of these at a time, also. But there is no snapshot of the result set made. If a row has been changed by another session between the time your session opens its cursor and the time your session gets to fetching that row of the result set, Oracle recognizes that and reads it, instead, from the rollback segment.

HTH,
Tom Best