Re: entry-level job for total newbie?

From: <sergey_s_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

Got any friends in Bay area? If so, ask them to "inject" your resume. Meanwhile, post you resume on the Web and search for openings yourself. Then hope for someone to call you back. Phone interviews can be pretty technical. You really should have a good understanding of database concepts before you start talking to people. From your post, it seems that you are at least trying to move in the right direction. So, just keep studying and, if you can get your hands on a copy of any heavy-weight database, keep practicing. I wouldn't move to California before securing a job unless I had the money to stay there while job hunting. I understand you don't have that kind of money either.

What is your major? What do you know well? I assume it's computer related. Leverage that on your interviews. You are, obviously, not a DBA by industry standards, and you shouldn't try to convince anyone otherwise. However, you may be a smart, talented self starter with a great potential, and, if someone in the Bay area notices that, you'll be in business. Once you get an interview in the Bay area, you can safely ask if they will pay for the flight and the hotel. Start-ups are often interested in people who don't have to be paid a lot, but you must be worth the try.

In article <8ldg2f$fm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   abooja_at_earthlink.net wrote:
> So I've talked myself into moving to the Bay Area and pursuing a
 career
> as a DBA. Problem is, I have no training (yet) and certainly no
> practical experience. What is a relevant, entry-level job for someone
> like me?
>
> I will be self-taught, for the most part. My introduction to
 databases
> was Access, and I'll be moving on to SQL, SQL Server (most likely),
> then Oracle. Hope to be on my way to certification by the end of the
> year, as ambitious and ridiculous as this may seem. I'm registered
> with techies.com and will take any and all relevant courses. But I
> can't afford full-blown certification courses at this point. Hoping
> find a cheapskate's way out, somehow.
>
> I work with a custom mainframe type of database (does this make
 sense?)
> at my present job, and originally planned to doctor my resume to make
> the job seem more . . . database-oriented than it actually is. Now
 I'm
> thinking I shouldn't wait until I leave NYC, and try to snag an entry-
> level job in this field before I cross the country in search of
> riches. What do you think? Any helpful comments would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Lisa
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT