Re: Replication between V7.3.2 and V8.16

From: Stefan Roesch <Stefan.Roesch_at_t-online.de>
Date: 2000/07/26

buckeye714 wrote:

> Yes, you can replicate between the two versions. The catch is
> that they don't do replication the same way, by default, You
> have to force V8.1.6 to do replication the way V7.3 expects it.
> It pretty easy actually. Try the following syntax, assuming the
> source is 7.3 and the destination is 8.1.6:
>
> CREATE SNAPSHOT <name>
> REFRESH FORCE
> WITH ROWID
> AS SELECT <list>
> FROM <table_name>@<db_link_name>;
>
> The key here is the WITH ROWID line. Oracle 7 snapshots are
> based on rowid's and Oracle8 defualts to Primary Key snapshots.
> This example is for read only snapshots. It possible to di
> Master to Master replication, but again, you have to tell
> Oracle8i to act like Oracle7.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Buckeye234
>
> "Steve" <schen_at_prodigy.net> wrote:
> >
> >I need some helps here:
> >
> >Oracle V8.16, NT4 platform, 8k dB_block_size;
> >Oracle V7.3.2, Unix platform, 4k dB_block_size;
> >
> >Question: Can some tables be replicated each other between
 these two dbs?

> >Do they have to be some dB_block_size? Do two version work
 together?

> >Thanks,
> >
> >Steve

> Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

The answers are not fully correct. This only works if you are using read only snapshots. With updateable snapshots this is not working. In this case you have to update to 7.3.3 (but I would recommend to go to Oracle V8).

For Read only snapshots you don't have to set the compatible parameter.

Despite these shortcomings i wouldn't you these versions because 7.3.2 isn't supported any more -:)

Yours Stefan Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT