Re: recovery catalog

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

"stec_jfk4" <stec_jfk4_at_email.msn.com> wrote in message news:#JiHovK9$GA.386_at_cpmsnbbsa08...
> I am having trouble registering a database on node1 to a recovery catalog
 on
> another node2. The error message I am getting is unable to solve service
> name. However, I can connect to the database on node1 from node2 using
> sqlplus. The net service name seems to be working.
>
> I am using OEM to register the database. It seems to fail during running
> the tcl script after connecting to rman.
>
> Also, can some one tell me if the recovery catalog should be on the same
> node as the database or is it more cautionary to use another node.

On the grounds that the catalogue is supposed to serve as protection for the target, it would make sense for them to be on entirely separate machines. You don't want a single hardware failure taking out *both* your database and the thing you'll use to recover it! The Oracle recommendation is that your target database should house a new catalogue for backing up the main catalogue -each protects the other, in other words.

Regards
HJR