Help ! Performance question : utl_file or sql*loader?

From: <ppateel_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/25

Hi Oracle experts,
  I have a question. I have a 400,000 record flat file containing data extract from a system. Each of the records in the flat file contains data for about 30 Oracle tables. Which of the following would be the best approach to load the data into Oracle tables.

  1. Write a plsql procedure and use UTL_FILE to read each record parse each field, process it(lot of bussiness logic) and insert records into Oracle tables.

OR

  B. Create a temporary table in Oracle with same layout as the field layout of the flat file and use SQL*Loader to load the flat file into the temporary table and then plsql procedure read the temporary table and process it and insert into Oracle tables.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Prahalad
(ppateel_at_iname.com)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jul 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT