Re: SQL*Plus / UNIX - so tedious!

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/07/25

 Sid> Hello.  Maybe I'm making life difficult for myself, but I
 Sid> find writing out lines of SQL*Plus really annoying. Even
 Sid> using vi to create the lines and then running the script
 Sid> seems really archaic. Is there a better way?!

I find the sqlplus buffer in Emacs to be the most powerful interface I have found. You get all the power of editing in the Emacs environment, with a connection to the database. You have syntax highlighting, command recall, abbreviations, buffer, ...

 Sid> Something with a GUI, perhaps. Something where one can
 Sid> quickly construct lines of SQL, PL/SQL, etc. Something
 Sid> free?!!! (TOAD isn't, is it?)

There are alot of tools that are free that give you a gui, and Oracle provides some as well, but Oracle ain't free by any stretch.

You could try: http://www.indus-soft.com/winsql This looked good. Got if off this newsgroup a little while ago.

--
Galen Boyer
Database Architect