Re: Replication: Specific questions

From: Tom Best <tabest_at_bellatlantic.dontspamme.net>
Date: 2000/07/25

Diego:

  1. It would be desirable to use the same Oracle version in all sites involved in a given replication environment. that is because you are bound to the capabilities of the greatest common denominator, and would have to set the COMPATIBLE init variable to the earliest of the version numbers.
  2. The speed at which data gets replicated is based upon your configuration and, of course, quantity of data. You can set it up as synchronous replication where all the sites are replicated to at commit time, and the commit is not finished until all sites have completed succesfully. Or, asynchronous replication allows you to schedule how frequently the DML is sent out to rep sites. You can have that happen once a week, or have the interval so short and the "delay_seconds" parameter long enough to effectively have it constantly attempting replication.
  3. There is a lot to it. See: http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76959/toc.htm

HTH,
Tom Best