Re: How to copy user passwds to different database ?

From: Graham Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: 2000/07/24

Hi.

Yes, you can use Export/Import to copy user ids and passwords to another database.

Alternatively, you can use the following technique to set passwords without having to know
what the password is:

SVRMGR> select username, password from dba_users;

USERNAME                       PASSWORD
SYS                            B2C358418C6BD75F
SYSTEM                         50CDB119BBC30007
BARNEY                         D9CCF97657D74403
AGUSER                         4CEB6CC93A694638
DBSNMP                         E066D214D5421CCC
5 rows selected.

We can see the encrypted password here in the DBA_USERS table. Oracle uses a one-way
hash on the password and username to generate the hex value. When a username/password
is entered, Oracle performs the same operation and then checks to see if the hex value
generated is the same as the one in the DBA_USERS table.

Provided you know the hex value from one database, you set it directly in another database using the following command:

SVRMGR> alter user barney identified by values 'D9CCF97657D74403'; Statement processed.
SVRMGR> Now the user Barney has the same passwords in both databases - and I never needed to
know what the password was.

Hope that helps

Graham