Re: Database link creation problem

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: 2000/07/24

Please post your tnsnamers.ora file...
Until then, check the server's Oracle_Home/network/admin directory for the tnsnames.ora file and look for an entry named trn.world ( or trn.[your domain here if not world])

try your link with

create public database link trn.world connect to apps identified by apps using 'trn.world';

This assumes:
1 a tnsnames entry called trn exists and points to the Oracle sid and listener you wish to connect to

2: a user named apps has connect and other rights to that Oracle instance

3: app's password is apps

hth

"Kevin" <kcheung_at_poboxes.com> wrote:

>Actually the 'D:trn' is the syntax copied from the SQL reference manual. Our
>training environment, SID=trn which is running on a development box. but
>Oracle does not allow me to create the db link as below:
>
>create public database link trn.world connect to apps identified by apps
>using 'trn';
>
>Regards,
>Kevin
>
><buckeye714_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> I would guess that your problem is in the follwing excerpt:
>>
>> using 'D:trn';
>>
>> the value in the quotes should be the tnsnames entry. Is the tnsnames
>> entry for your production database D:trn? Take a look at the example
>> below. Steve's TNSnames entry is Example1. His corresponding text in
>> the create link command is "using 'example1';". Try making the "using
>> 'D:trn';" piece of your create database link statement match exactly
>> what is in your tnsnames.ora file for your production database.
>>
>> If it already does match, try changing the tnames entry to something
>> without a ':' in the middle.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Later .....
>>

>> In article <8lhkeb$i9$1_at_du04.oli.hk>,
>> "Kevin" <kcheung_at_poboxes.com> wrote:
>> > Here's the error I encountered:
>> >
>> > SQL> create public database link trn.world connect to apps identified
 by
>> > apps using 'D:trn';
>> >
>> > Database link created.
>> >
>> > SQL> select * from v$session_at_trn.world;
>> > select * from v$session_at_trn.world
>> > *
>> > ERROR at line 1:
>> > ORA-06401: NETCMN: invalid driver designator
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Kevin
>> >
>> > "Steve McDaniels" <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com> wrote in message

 unix
 box