Re: Database link creation problem

From: <buckeye714_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/24

I would guess that your problem is in the follwing excerpt:

 using 'D:trn';

the value in the quotes should be the tnsnames entry. Is the tnsnames entry for your production database D:trn? Take a look at the example below. Steve's TNSnames entry is Example1. His corresponding text in the create link command is "using 'example1';". Try making the "using 'D:trn';" piece of your create database link statement match exactly what is in your tnsnames.ora file for your production database.

If it already does match, try changing the tnames entry to something without a ':' in the middle.

Hope this helps.

Later .....

In article <8lhkeb$i9$1_at_du04.oli.hk>,
  "Kevin" <kcheung_at_poboxes.com> wrote:
> Here's the error I encountered:
>
> SQL> create public database link trn.world connect to apps identified
 by
> apps using 'D:trn';
>
> Database link created.
>
> SQL> select * from v$session_at_trn.world;
> select * from v$session_at_trn.world
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-06401: NETCMN: invalid driver designator
>
> Regards,
> Kevin
>
> "Steve McDaniels" <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com> wrote in message
> > TNSNAMES:
> >
> > Example1.world =
> > (DESCRIPTION =
> > (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > (ADDRESS =
> > (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> > (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> > (Host = Production1)
> > (Port = 1521)
> > )
> > )
> > (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = SID1)
> > )
> > )
> >

> > "DDL" for link:
> >
> > create database link sid1.world
> > connect to my_username identified by my_password
> > using 'example1'
> > /
> >
> > 1. Note that the link name MUST BE sid.world (e.g., SID1.WORLD)
> > 2. Using 'example1' is the (first part of) tnsnames entry
> >

> > Usage:
> >
> > select user_tables_at_SID1.world
> > /
> >
> > "Kevin" <kcheung_at_poboxes.com> wrote in message
> > > I cannot create a database link for an instance that is in another
 unix
 box
> > > We're running 7.3.3 on AIX, no oracle names is used.
> > >
> > > unix box A: production instance - prd
> > > unix box B: 3 instances for various purposes
> > >
> > > I cannot only create db link for instances in box B to the
 production
> > > instance in box A. And the tnsnames.ora in box B already contains
 the
> > > service entry for the production instance.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know the reason?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jul 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT