Re: Drop a table while you insert data into it !

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/23

"vani" <VanishriNOVaSPAM_at_hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message news:1a69651c.e6891d38_at_usw-ex0109-069.remarq.com...
> I want to drop a table while writing to it, just in
> case I can't kill the program inserting data into
> the table.
> Sometimes the table takes up a huge amount of
> tablespace. Then I would like to drop the table.
>
> I have seen a case like this where a table was occupying
> huge amount of tablespace and growing as a result of
> program writing to it. We could not find the program or
> drop the table. Hope why to do this clarified.
>
> Please help!
>
> Vani

A better approach would surely to be to prevent the program being *able* to make a table grow for ever -and you could do that quite adequately by setting a MAXEXTENTS clause for your table (which you should set for all your tablespaces anyway as it's a good default setting to apply to all segments without exception).

When your segment has reached its maximum number of extents, Oracle will throw an error, which will cause the program to cease its activities.

Regards
HJR

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful Received on Sun Jul 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT