Re: Too many Archive log files

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/23

"Alex Hudghton" <alex_at_alenda.NOSPAM!.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:39771767.27013553_at_news.freeserve.net...
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:54:46 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
>
> <<snip>>
> >
> >As a general rule of thumb, you should be log switching around once an
 hour,
> >or maybe every half hour (though it's difficult to be precise, because it
> >depends so heavily on the nature of your database).
> >

> Sorry Howard, but you can't have 'general rules of thumb' for this
> stuff.
>
> I have two systems running the same application, one switches every
> 40mins - 1 hour because it has 15 users. The other switches every
> minute because it has 130 users. The log files are the same size in
> both cases

Well the last sentence explains the penultimate.

If you are switching every minute, and you are happy with the performance of your database, then all's fine. Many people would not be happy with the amount of checkpointing going on with your second system, however, and would therefore make the logs bigger to slow down the rate at which switching occurs.

The 'general rule of thumb' that people usually take away from assorted sources is that the logs should be switching every hour or half-hour, as that provides a reasonable compromise between performance and ability to recover an Instance in a reasonable amount of time. It's not gospel, and I never suggested it was!

Regards
HJR