Re: Can pl/sql utl_file package read long file names?

From: Lothar Armbüster <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.vistec.net>
Date: 2000/07/22

eschenk wrote at 20-Jul-00 20:10:43
on the subject "Can pl/sql utl_file package read long file names?":

>I'm having difficulties with the utl_file package in 8.0. I read one
>file and write out to another. One file has a more than an eight
>character filename and the other has a seven character filename. The
>seven character file name doesn't error out and the longer name does?

>Could long name format be the problem here or should I be looking for
>something else?

The first thing you should look at is the utl_file_dir entry in init.ora. Every directory that is to be used with utl_file needs a separate entry in init.ora.

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.vistec.net
Hauptstr. 26            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de