ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out???

From: Jeff <jdcc_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 2000/07/22

I'm trying to connect to an instance over the internet with SQL*Plus and receive ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out. I can connect w/SQL*Plus from within my company but not from home. The network administrator has opened a hole in the firewall and I can ping the db server w/o problem.

I am using the standard port 1521. Someone suggested that oracle listens on one port and perhaps responds back to the client using another port. Is there a setting in TNSNAMES.ORA to force the db server to respond to the client back on port 1521?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jeff Received on Sat Jul 22 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT