Re: DBA and certification questions?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/07/22

        I know where you are coming from because I have been there. I got started as in database administration because I was running a project and didn't want my developers to spend time learning new skills and doing things other than what they were hired to do.

        In your shoes I would invest in two books (to start off with) DBA 101 by Theriault, Carmichael, and
Viscusis and the Oracle DBA Handbook by Loney (and if for 8i Theriault). DBA 101 will get you off the ground quickly and painlessly and keep you, and your database, out of trouble. Once you have the routine stuff down pat you can afford to take the time to really dig into the DBA Handbook.

        One other thing that I strongly recommend is that you have the company acquire a PC and that you install the same version(s) of Oracle that your product uses. Use this machine as your personal lab.  Do things like sinulate a media failure by deleting a database file and learn how to recover. Put a healthy set of tables and data on your lab machine and then experiment with the impact of varying different Oracle initialization perameters. You will quickly and, relatively, painlessly learn what you really need to know.