Re: SettingTime out for killed users

From: Karen <karen.abgarian_at_fmr.com>
Date: 2000/07/21

Hi

As far as I know it is a problem with Oracle.

The process is cleared quickly only if it does any call to the database, at which
point it gets "your session have been killed" and it goes. If the process does not do
any calls, which happens if the user process dies, then PMON is supposed to clear
after it and remove the session from the session list.

However, in my experience, it does not happen in any predictable time. After some
research, I found a note on Metalink saying that PMON can take anywhere from several minutes to 24 hours to clear the session out. The documentation also says
that "subsequent executions of ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION MAY kill the session", but it does not work always, if at all.

The only way to clear the session out is to destroy the shadow process.

I would be interested to hear from somebody who knows a better solution to this problem.

Karen.