Re: SettingTime out for killed users

From: Graham Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: 2000/07/21

The problem here is that when you issue an 'alter system kill session' command, Oracle
marks the session as killed, but then waits for the operating system to clean up,
which depending on the port, it may or may not do in a timely fashion. Worse still,
any locks the session held stay held until the operating system cleans up.

A more reliable method is to grab the operating system process id from the V$PROCESS
table, and use the relevant OS command to kill the process.

After a short while, Oracle will then clean up the session, release any resources and
rollback any outstanding transactions. If this doesn't happen fast enough, you can
issue the following command to force PMON to clean up:

SVRMGR> oradebug wakeup 2
Statement processed.

Hope that helps

Graham