Multiple Oracle Homes

From: Jon Blake <jblake_at_swin.edu.au>
Date: 2000/07/21

We have a DEC Alpha/Unix system with Oracle 8.0.5 installed. Two 8.0.5 databases exist, and listener.ora is configured for these two databases. PC users have Oracle client installed and appropriate tnsnames.ora entries to enable client access to the two 8.0.5 databases, via the 8.0.5 listener process running on the DEC Alpha. Everything runs fine for these two databases.

We have also installed Oracle 8.1.6 under a different Oracle Home, and created a 8.1.6 database (with a unique SID). Server Manager and sqlplus successfully connect to this database via a telnet session. Rather than start another listener process for the new database, the 8.0.5 listener.ora file was edited for the new 8.1.6 database, listener shut down and restarted. The new database appears as an available service. The ORACLE_HOME specification for the 8.1.6 database in 8.0.5's listener.ora identifies the correct home for the Oracle 8.1.6 installation.

At the client end, tnsnames.ora was edited to include a new service definition for the 8.1.6 database. However client connections to the 8.1.6 database actually connect to one of the 8.0.5 databases! Carefull review of listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files shows no obvious errors.

Should this scenario work (using the 8.0.5 listener for all databases), or do I have to have another listener for my 8.1.6 database?

Many thanks in advance...
Jon Received on Fri Jul 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT