Re: benchmark question

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/07/20

Larry,

  I can load 250,000 records in 0.1 seconds if I direct them to the bit bucket! It will also take me about 10 years if I key punch them manually. How long should it take to load? It depends on too many factors. Are they loading above or below the highwater mark for the table? Is there an index? How many indexes on the table? Will the indexes be dropped and recreated after the load? The bigger question is "will it fulfill your company's requirements if it only takes one hour to load 250,000 records"? If your company determines that you have a 12 hour window to load this data, then it sounds like the vendors claims work great for you. If you only have a 5 minute window, then this will definitely not do. Start from there.

HTH,
Brian

Larry wrote:

> We are evaluating a vendor whose software product will be loading large
> numbers of records (10,000 to 250,000) into an Oracle database running
> on an NT server. Can anyone give me an idea (ASAP) as to how long we
> should expect this to take? For example, if the vendor says their
> product can load 250,000 records in one hour, is this good or bad? I
> only need a rough idea, and as quickly as possible, please.
> Many thanks,
>
> Larry
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.