Re: Too many Archive log files

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/07/20

Alex Hudghton wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:54:46 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
>
> <<snip>>
> >
> >As a general rule of thumb, you should be log switching around once an hour,
> >or maybe every half hour (though it's difficult to be precise, because it
> >depends so heavily on the nature of your database).
> >

> Sorry Howard, but you can't have 'general rules of thumb' for this
> stuff.
>
> I have two systems running the same application, one switches every
> 40mins - 1 hour because it has 15 users. The other switches every
> minute because it has 130 users. The log files are the same size in
> both cases
>
> Regards
>
> Alex
>
> <<snip>>

Every minute sounds awfully frequenct (especially with the impact that the checkpoint at switch will have) ... unless you are trying to keep a standby db very up to date...

... why not have larger log files ?

Cheers
Connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse