Re: Oracle Physical Implementation Expert Help required

From: Big Al <db-guru_at_att.net>
Date: 2000/07/20

Brian Peasland wrote:

> Iain,
>
> Comments inline....
>
> > 1) On DB2 you can reorganize the data in a physical table by an index of
> > your choosing (The most used index). Can, and if so how do you do the on
> > ORACLE ?
>
> This flies in the face of relational database theory. Accoring to
> relational theory, the rows (and columns) in a table have no physical
> order. The order is unimportant. While I have never used DB2, I'm
> assuming that IBM did it this way so that retrievals on the that index's
> columns would be faster. The closest thing that Oracle has to this is
> the Index Organized Table (IOT).
> <<snipped>>

Actually, the original poster was slightly in error. In DB2 you can select a clustering index which tries to load/store the data in the same order as the index. Order is not guaranteed. In a later question I noticed a reference to an AS/400. AS/400s have a different storage system from any other OS that I know which changes the way you think about storage. That may also explain the comment.

Big Al Received on Thu Jul 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT