Re: DBA and certification questions?

From: Rich Mycroft <rich.mycroft_at_synchrologic.com>
Date: 2000/07/20

My general take on companies that want to test during an interview is I walk out on them. Nothing worse than being asked to remember some jack assed syntax whenever you're trying to figure out if you want to work for these guys. Having been a DBA for several years (but only 1 year with Oracle) if you can't figure out I can do the job based upon keeping 24x7 operations up at prior jobs then you're not worth my time to interview with. Certification together with experience would be a plus. I'll ask fundamental questions to do with relational theory (define referrential integrity, entity integrity, primary keys, candidate keys) and maybe ask them to look over an ERD. Other than that try checking that they've actually done what they say they've done. And contrary to popular opinion I have not found web site db's to be more taxing than traditional data processing systems. Trust me, if you're running a financial system and the system bombs you're going to get a lot more attention than if the web site doesn't respond at 2AM.

Just my 2 cents.
Rich Mycroft