Re: Harder Question

From: fro_doe <fro_doeNOfrSPAM_at_hotmail.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/07/19

Van Messner <vmessnerNOvmSPAM_at_discovernet.com.invalid> wrote:
> Oracle support says there is no way to use RMAN to backup
 from
>an NT server to disk on a another NT server (rather than backing
>up to tape on the first server).
> Actually they said it can be done but there is no
>documentation.
>
> Has any of you done this? What specific permissions did you
>grant on the target server and the backup server?
>
> Does backing up two small servers to one another seem like a
>particularly odd request? What do others do?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Van

>Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
>Up to 100 minutes free!
>http://www.keen.com

I can speak to this question on the UNIX side (but I think the answer will be similar for NT). There are only two ways I can see this working.

The first, you would need to use a media management vendor (MMV) that supports network backups and allows the backup server to perform the backup to disk, not tape. This has nothing to do with RMAN necessarily. RMAN just hands off the data to be backed up to the MMV on the local system. The MMV is responsible for sending the data over the network to the remote system.

The second is using something like NFS to mount a remote directory on the local system and do either a disk channel backup, or use the disk api and set the BACKUP_DIR env variable so it points to the MFS-mounted directory.

I doubt these are what you had in mind. RMAN can not, by itself, create a remote backup. The oracle process doing the actual backup can only run on the target database system. If you use a disk channel, it will create files on a local filesystem. If you use a tape channel, it will hand the data off to MMV code running on the local system (which can then send the data over the network to a remote system). RMAN will/can not send data blocks over Net8 for backup by another oracle process on a remote system.

I hope I've explained myself clearly.

Doug.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Wed Jul 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT