Re: pl/sql and javascript

From: Frank Hubeny <frankhubeny_at_mediaone.net>
Date: 2000/07/19

I don't believe it is possible to call a server procedure directly from within javascript on the client and expect an answer to be returned to the running javascript code. The returning information is more likely to overwrite the page.

However, it may be possible to simulate this behavior with framesets.

(1) Place all javascript in the top frame.
(2) Have a visible frame for the user to fill out the form.
(3) Have a hidden frame for the messages to and from the server.
(4) When the user fills in the form and "submits" it, send the information to a top frame javascript procedure which sends it to the server (plsql
cartridge) with the target being the hidden frame so that the display frame and the top frame are not replaced by the return message. (5) The message that is returned to the hidden frame should contain javascript that will write the required information to the top frame. (6) When the top frame receives the information it will call a new javascript procedure that will continue responding to the user request.

Although I routinely place all javascript in the top frame (or parent frame of the application), I haven't tried the above method. But I see no reason why it will not work.

Frank Hubeny