Re: External Authentication

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 2000/07/19

In article <8l2p5s$f3o_at_nntpb.cb.lucent.com>,   "Gary Knopp" <gknopp_at_ascend.com> wrote:

> I created a database account with external authentication.
> However, it seems that I have to log on to the machine the
> database is on to use this account. There does not seem
> to be anyway to connect to a database REMOTELY using
> external authentication.
>
> Using external authentication, SQLPLUS requires a "/" to
> log in. Anything more, like the addtition of a tnsnames
> service name "@mydb" makes it fail.
>
> Does external authenticaton only work on a local database?

you can (but you really truely shouldn't).

you can set remote_os_authent=true in the init.ora and restart. Then, we'll blindly "trust" the remote_os's to tell us who you are. All I have to do on another machine is create an account named after you and I will be you.

don't do this unless you control every machine that might possibly log in.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/index.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.