Re: Extents

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/07/18

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:12:25 GMT, unixsysad_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>I am looking for a way besides exporting and importing to reduce the
>number of extents on an index. I know that you can reduce the number of
>extents by exporting the index and then re-importing it. I am wondering
>if there is an easier way? If anyone can help me with this it would be
>greatly appreciated.

Why on earth are you exporting the index and re-importing it to compact? Just get the index definition out of DBA_INDEXES and DBA_IND_COLUMNS, construct a script to drop and re-create and be done with it. Or use the index re-build.

Another thing: if you want to avoid fragmentation, then increase the initial extent to the current size of the index and make next extent roughly 10% of that.

HTH Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Tue Jul 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT