Re: LONG VARCHAR

From: Yong <yhuang_at_slb.com>
Date: 2000/07/18

All you said is very correct except LONG VARCHAR:

SQL> create table q (a long varchar);

Table created.

SQL> select column_name, data_type from user_tab_columns where table_name = 'Q';

COLUMN_NAME                    DATA_TYPE
------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------
----
A                              LONG

However, according to Concept manual, there's no such datatype long varchar. Long varchar is the datatype from DB2 or SQL/DS that can be converted to long in Oracle (see
technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76965/c10datyp.htm#629). Apparently Oracle automatically does this conversion for you as I showed above.

Yong Huang

Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:397080a6$1_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> "Julien Godfroid" <j.gofdfroid_at_co-link.be> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm exporting a database from Sybase to Oracle8 and I've got a problem
> > with LONG VARCHAR fields. They're not limited in number(in a same table)
> > in sybase but seems to be in Oracle. Am I Right ? Is there a magic
> > solution ?
> >

> No such thing as a long varchar, but if you are talking about LONGs and
 LONG
> RAWs then, yes, there's a limit of one such field per table.
>
> If you have the chance to work with Oracle 8 and above, then you can use
> CLOBS and BLOBS which are (respectively) the replacements for LONGs and
 LONG