Re: Send e-mail from stored-procedure

From: Ethan Post <epost1NOepSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/07/17

As of Oracle 8.1.6 Release 2 you can use the UTL_SMTP package however this is obviously not an option at the moment. Most folks have implemented solutions in the following manner.

  1. Write the information you want to email from a PL/SQL procedure out to a pipe or file using DBMS_PIPE or UTL_FILE.
  2. Have a script listening/looking on the pipe or file then process it for delivery using command line.

I currently write my alerts to a file, then use a Perl script to pick it up and use SendMail to send it. As you are on NT I would suggest locating a program called Blat (sorry I don't have a link) and determining what you need to do to send a message via command line. Then write you PL/SQL procedure to produce the required files for blat to pick up and process.

I found a few programs you had to pay for but have as of yet not located any free utilities that add this functionality to Oracle but I'm sure they exist. The process outlined above should only take about an hour to get up and running if you are familiar with the UTL_FILE package and DOS scripts. If you need more help let me know.

Thanks,
Ethan

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Mon Jul 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT